Syllabus: UG I Year FC- English 2021-22
Syllabus of UG I Year: Foundation Course English (B.A., B.Sc., B.Com.) - FCA. Program: UG Level; Year: 2021-22; Session: 2021 Onwards
Class: I Year
Subject: Foundation Course (English)
Course Code: X1 –FCHB 1T
Course Title: English Language and Indian Culture
Course Type: Foundation Course
Credit Value: 2 credits; Total Marks: 50; Pass Marks: 17
Note: This Course will be studied by all the students of UG level under the foundation course Category.
Content of the Course
Unit I Reading, Writing and Interpretation Skills:
1. Where the Mind is Without Fear – Rabindranath Tagore [Key Word: Patriotism]
2. National Education – M.K. Gandhi [Key Word: Edification]
3. The Axe – R.K. Narayan [Key Word: Environment]
4. The Wonder that was India – A.L. Basham (an excerpt) [Key Word: Indianness]
5. Preface to the Mahabharata – C. Rajgopalachari [Key Word: Indian Mythology]
Unit II Comprehension Skill
Unseen Passage followed by multiple choice questions
Unit III Basic Language Skills:
1. Vocabulary Building: Suffix, Prefix, Synonyms, Antonyms, Homophones, Homonyms and One-Word Substitution.
2. Basic Grammar – Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Verb, Adverb, Preposition, Article, Time and Tense.